Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Battling for the Prize!

What a blast this summer going to the local garage sales in search of items for my son’s first apartment! I started by picking up a side table and rug for him. My son, Lo, was intrigued and asked if he could come along next time. Frequently you would find us pulling back into the drive on Saturdays with big smiles on our faces excited to show off our new treasures.

Our first competition was this floor lamp. There was no photo in the ad and I had a hair appointment. I had seen a small spotlight floor lamp in a Seattle residence just last Spring and came home looking for one of my own. I had only found larger ones to date and they ran a couple hundred dollars. I gave Lo $60 and told him to be the first one there when they opened and send me a picture so I could let him know if I wanted it. (Then I slipped him another $20 just in case. )

Sitting in the barber chair it was getting much too late in the morning and no word from the boy. I broke out my phone and sent him a message


“Well???”
“I got it!”
“Did you like it?”
“It’s amazing!”
“It’s mine you know.” No response.
“I say, it’s mine you know.”
“Not if you didn’t pay for it.”


I hurried home after my appointment to find the lamp set up as you see it here. What a different look! It was the larger spotlight but it still added a unique new flair! Lo came in through the doors and handed me all my money back. I rolled my eyes. He said I could use it ‘til he reclaims it in the fall.

I got a lot of advice over this one; mostly folks telling me it wasn’t right and I should assert my authority by declaring that floor lamp as my own. I have to tell you though, I was proud of my Lo! The selling price started at $125 and with a potential 2nd buyer lurking about, he still brought it home for only $60. I knew it was a good deal and his resolved tactic with me was quite witty. The lamp was his.

No comments:

Post a Comment